Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chocolate Bread



The best grocery store in the world, Wegman's, started to make chocolate bread around Valentine's Day a few years ago, and I got hooked. It just smelled, looked, and tasted delicious. They paired with a coffee infused marscapone cheese, and the combination was just *wow.* Anyway, I sadly moved away from the land of Wegman's, but this past week, came across the coffee marscapone cheese in Minnesota! Unfortunately, there is no amazing bakery that offers chocolate bread here, so I had to resort to my own skills to make it. The recipe that I used for this bread was adapted from one online by NPR. The final result is just wonderful!

This bread is not a sweet bread, like banana or zucchini, but rather more of a classic doughier bread, flavored with chocolate.


So, here's how I made it.
I truly hate sifting things, so to get around that little 'problem' I simply whisk together all the dry ingredients when I am baking before adding any liquids. Here, I am whisking together the flour, sugars, cocoa, and salt.


Meanwhile, the yeasts were happy sitting atop some sugar water and doing their thing, aka creating some foam.


Yeast and coffee were then combined with the dry ingredients, and the dough was kneaded. Butter was added tablespoon by tablespoon into the dough until it was glistening.



Then, I added in the chocolate chunks!


The dough had to sit overnight in the fridge, but today after work, I rolled out the dough into balls and arranged them in the bread pan.


After rising and then being baked, here's the final result. Mmm.


Coffee flavored marscapone cheese is the perfect spread to pair with this bread!

Full ingredients and recipe here!


1 comment: