Saturday, June 12, 2010

Basil-Spinach Pesto



It's World Cup Saturday, USA versus England, and I'm trying to type up this post during half-time. I definitely don't know too much about soccer, but World Cup is just so exciting that I can't help buy try to get involved. It's so much more engaging (and the players are much more handsome) than American football. Plus, I love the constant play and no commercials! It's so refreshing. Although the South African horns that are constantly being tooted during the game have this annoying sound like a mosquito. I'd rather hear roaring soccer chants.

Anyway, before the game started, I was trying to decide what I fancied for lunch. We had a big container of organic baby spinach in the fridge, so I though I would whip up some pesto to serve over linguine. I seriously love pesto, although I don't make it too much. Pesto is classically made with basil, although I find pure basil pesto to be too strong. So, I do a mixture of basil and spinach to temper that strong taste. This recipe can easily be made vegan, too, by omitting the cheese and adding in a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt instead, without compromising the deliciousness.

Pesto is delicious with pasta, although one of my favorite ways eat it is with a baguette and brie. So good. So crazy good. Served this way, pesto would make a great snack or appetizer. Maybe you could make them for your own World Cup party when the US makes it to the finals. :)



Basil-Spinach Pesto
Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook

1 cup fresh basil (must be fresh), packed
2 cups baby spinach, packed
3-4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts (toasting optional)*
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (omit if making this vegan)

1.) In a small chopper or food processor, chop the basil, spinach, and garlic.
2.) Add in the pine nuts and pulse until they are well chopped.
3.) Slowly add in the olive oil until the mixture forms a nice paste. If you have what seems to be excess oil, add in a handful of spinach until it is absorbed.
4.) If adding cheese, stir this in by hand. Then serve!

* To toast pine nuts, place pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat. Stir intermittently. Once the nuts starts to exude a nutty scent or you notice they are golden, take them off the heat immediately. They are toasted. Going past this will point they will burn easily, and you will have to start again.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the Moosewood Cookbook as a gift; it looks awesome on first glance. Do you have any other favorites from it that I should try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of their Ratatouille, but seriously just about everything is good from the Moosewood Cookbook. It's fabulous - and healthy!! : )

    ReplyDelete