Saturday, May 15, 2010

Homemade Vanilla


If you're a baker, you probably have a large bottle of vanilla extract in your cupboard. If you're a serious baker, you've learned that not all vanilla is created equal, and journeyed away from the imitation stuff in search of the best 'real' extract. Unfortunately, that real stuff doesn't come cheap. That's what I found at least. During one fateful trip to Philadelphia, though, I stopped at a Penzy's Spices, and learned from the cashier that you can actually make your OWN vanilla extract - and for cheap! It makes a fabulous Christmas/Holiday gift, but you have to get started now to allow the extraction process enough time. I guest blogged about the process on my BFF's blog "Annie Get Your Glue Gun." So, check it out now, buy your beans, take a trip to the liquor store, and be prepared to take your baking up a notch. : )

PS - I highly suggest Southern Comfort as your extracting liquor.

No comments:

Post a Comment